Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Most Unusual Birth

Working in the bush you get to see some unusual things. I took diabetic guy's shoe off once to redress his feet only to find one of his toes left in the dressing. He did not seem too concerned. I once looked after a baby who had a fever, nothing unusual except her mother had a strange squint, still nothing unusual but the squint was new and caused by the beating her husband had given her the night before, she had a fractured skull.



Most things you can get through. All wounds need to be cleaned and either sutured or dressed. All breathing problems tend to need a bit of oxygen and transfer out. All bacterial infections need anti-biotics and viral infections just rest, panadol and fluids. Start with airway and move through breathing , circulation etc etc etc.



The one area I always did feel out of depth was birthing. Generally late in pregnancy mothers to be are transfered to the nearest big hospital. Usually Cairns for Far North Queensland. Of course there was always a few who did not want to go or wanted their children born in the community.



Where I worked there was not always a midwife available. When they were around I always treated them really well.



Anybody can deliver a child when it is all normal and natural. It is when things are not going smoothly when the experienced bush midwife is worth her/his weight in gold.



So to get to the story. Most of my actions were little tricks that by themselves might not make a difference but together can weigh the advantages in your favour.



It was a cold and windswept night. Not really but I've always wanted to write that. It was a typically warm, humid, tropical night. I was on call and it was around midnight. The telephone next to my bed rang. It meant only one thing, a patient.



Usually the security guard will inform you during the call of any of his immediate concerns. Over the years these concerns would only be dramatic stuff, 'Rob, got a bloke here with a knife sticking out of his chest.' "Can you come over got a girl covered in blood.' and ' Pregnant lady.'



Tonight the call was for the pregnant lady. I wandered over and was there within a couple of minutes. I began collecting all the usual history. In essence what I wanted to find out was if she was safe to fly out, drive out or deliver here. She had had plenty of children and with no pregnancy or delivery problems before.



A midwife or suitably trained MO might now do a vaginal exam. Not me. In this case everything is pointing towards an imminent delivery, well most things. The missing factor is lack of fluid.



I try to get as many things together. Delivery equipment and the like, oxygen and suction equipment and a tiny air viva. From the fridge I grab the synto injection. I usually like to put a cannula in mother as well, not that they all need one but it gives me something to do.



Within a few minutes we are at the point of delivery. The top of the head is beginning to pop out. It looks a little pale. Before I can think about anything else out shoots the little guy.



I am astonished. There on the bed is what looks like a pod, fairly clear and inside is a baby. I have no idea what is going on so back to A,B,C. The only way t o check the airway is to remove the 'pod' . Of course, it is the membrane sac. It tears so easily I can't believe it did not rupture on the way out. The little guy is alright. He is soon screaming.



I ring Cairns Base Hospital. The midwife listens to my story. She tells me it is not common but certainly not unusual. For a few minutes I had thought I may be famous.



We go through all the usual post delivery checks. The lady and baby do not warrant a helicopter flight ( they are too well) so it is a long ride in the back of an ambulance for mum, baby and me.



Later on I find out these babies are considered lucky and sailors especially believed they never drown. I think people into astrology and the like also have some belief about them.



Over the next few years before I left the community the little guy did okay. He came for his immunisations, never seemed to be unwell and never had any difficulties in the water. Maybe there is some truth to the beliefs after all. Maybe I will go and check what the astrologists think. Mm mm.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Many cultures believe this type of birth indicates somebody with special abilities. Many believe Jesus, Alexandra The Great were caulbearers.
Many claim to have ESP. often agnostic with alternative views to society.
Some claim werewolves and vampires are born this way. Vampire issues arise especially if the caul is not disposed of in an appropriate manner.
Cheers
Benan